A year ago, Nick and I could have never imagined how much our lives would change from one single event. Now a year later, our baby girl turning one year old! It's amazing to look back and see how much she has grown. At every stage it seemed like she was doing so much more than the month before. Now we officially have a toddler! We had a family party at our house and she got to celebrate her official birthday with her birthday twins, her Daddy and Gigi. Here is a little about Lexi's development at ONE YEAR OLD! (Sorry if this is long...it's really for my personal records)
Height: Almost 30 inches
Weight: 19 lbs 4 oz (she a bitty baby)
Head: About the 95th percentile
Hair Color: She's a little redhead!
Eye Color: Her eyes are now fully brown.
-Lexi took her first steps right at 11 months, but then decided she wasn't ready to walk yet. Now she's finally started taking a few quick steps when she really wants something. She's figured out when we're trying to practice with her and quickly goes to the floor to crawl if we try to coerce her.
-She is fully eating solid food and eats 3 meals a day plus snacks. She just started drinking some milk and is transitioning to milk out of a bottle for some feedings as well as out of her cup. She learned to drink out of a straw this month so that helps her get more liquids than out of her sippy cup.
-She is starting to figure out how objects are used and likes to pretend she is using them for their intended purpose (instead of just sticking everything in her mouth). She likes to "brush" her hair and teeth, put lids on and off containers, tries to put our socks and shoes on her feet and her babies hat on its head.
-She loves to push things around while walking. Sometimes this is her push toys, sometimes it's the kitchen chairs, her highchair or anything else she can get to move.
-Lexi has said mama and dada, and is making many more complex vowel and consonant sounds. She also has intonation in her speech and gestures to us when she is "talking." She likes to raise her eyebrows at us while talking and holding an object up, then wait for our response. We have lots of pretend conversations with her these days.
-She loves to mimic things that we do. She was used to me making an "ahhh" sound after I took a drink of water, so she drinks out of her straw then says "ahhh" after each sip.
-Lexi cracks herself up and is easy to make laugh. Multiple times a day something she does, or something we do, causes her to break into a fit of giggles. Her daddy is especially good at getting a good belly laugh out of her.
-The girl LOVES her bathtime. She will play in the bath FOREVER if I let her. She likes to play with toys and pour water, and just recently started pouring water on her own head.
-She likes to play "kiss the baby" with her baby dolls, stuffed animals, or into the mirror. She leans in and makes an "mmmmaaaahhh" sound when she kisses. She also just figured out to give kisses with her mouth closed. She can blow kisses now (with the same sound effect)
-Lexi loves to dance and will really shake it when kids songs come on or when you cheer her on.
- She is very active. She goes until she drops. The doctor said she is probably transitioning to one nap a day, but since she normally sleeps 2 1/2 to 3 hours straight I don't mind at all.
-Lexi is still crazy about cell phones and remotes. She likes anything she knows makes something work, has buttons, or make sounds when she pushes it.
-She understands many simple demands and knows the word "No" and "Stop", and can turn the pages of her book, press buttons, give me something in her hand, open and close containers on demand. I feel like we are finally getting to the beginning stages of true communication.
-She can wave (we finally figured that one out this month), and figured out how to flash a cheesy grin. You can see her scrunched up eyes and crinkly nose smile in some of the pics below.
-She refuses to let me put a bow on her now. The just pulls it right off! Sometimes I can sneak it on her for a while, but the second she feels something up there she yanks it off. It's not long enough for pigtails so I just have to be patient and hope people can still tell she's a girl based on her frilly outfits :)
-She likes to share things that she is holding, but only with adults. If there are other kids around, she always wants to play with whatever they are playing with. I'm sure this is the beginning of a long road ahead of this.
I'm starting these birthday interview questions with Lexi (and future kiddos). For the first few years we can assist in answering them, but I think it will be cute to see how they change as they age!
1. What is your favorite color? Hot pink2. What is your favorite toy? Any push toys, my dog piano, my books
3. What is your favorite fruit? Strawberries
4. What is your favorite tv show? Super Why, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
5. What is your favorite thing to eat for lunch? Macaroni and Cheese
6. What is your favorite outfit? Whatever mommy dresses me in...normally something girly
7. What is your favorite game? Peekaboo, playing with Kobe and Scout, pulling things in and out of containers8. What is your favorite snack? fruit and Cheater Cheetos (Gerber Lil' Munchies)
9. What is your favorite animal? dogs
10. What is your favorite song? "Itsy Bitsy Spider", "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes", "Mr. Sun"
11. What is your favorite book? Touch and Feel Baby Animals, That's Not My Fairy
12. Who is your best friend? Mason and Mackenzie
13. What is your favorite cereal? Cheerios
14. What is your favorite thing to do outside? Swing at the park, go swimming
15. What is your favorite drink? milk
16. What is your favorite holiday? there are not many I can remember right now, so probably my birthday
17. What do you like to take to bed with you at night? my blankie
18. What is your favorite thing to eat for breakfast? Cheesy eggs, toast and fruit
19. What do you want for dinner on your birthday? Mac and Cheese or Salmon
20. What do you want to be when you grow up? who knows, Daddy is hoping you become a spy
We love you Alexis Taylor Mauldin. Happy Birthday, sweet girl!