Sunday, September 19, 2010

We're Breaking Free!


About a month ago, I got a call from my friend Kristen because she was in a pickle (I love that term). She and her husband, Craig had signed up to participate in this obstacle course challenge, called the Jailbreak Dash. Then he got an opportunity to travel to Japan for work and, of course, had to take it! In a nutshell, they had already paid the entry fee and she needed someone who could participate in his place. I'm always up for anything, especially if it seems like fun, plus the money goes to a good cause. The proceeds benefit the Sower of Seeds ministries, which help to get clean water to people in India. So that leads me to this weekend. We geared up in our junkiest workout clothes, because many of the obstacles involve wading through mud pits. We packed up our bags, trashbags and towels to cover up the car seats and headed out to Roanoke. Here is the 3.8 mile course.


There were hills, haybale walls you had to climb, multiple mud pits, 3 river crossings, and miles of dirt trail through the woods. Kristen and I were a little worried since we didn't train at all for this, but we ended up having a blast. We actually jogged way more of the course than we thought we would and got FILTHY! Here are some pictures of us celebrating after crossing the finish line, before we got hosed down (not that it helped much)!



You can't tell this from the pictures, but we are also SOAKING wet. I donated my muddy shoes to a charity drive they were doing they were so filthy. After that, we ate our included BBQ sandwich and chips, and packed up to head home. Great times on this hot Texas Sunday! I'm sure I'll be hurting tomorrow, but at least we can say we had fun and it was all worth it. I've already convinced Nick to do it with us next year.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...